It seems difficult to believe that it has only been a week since the attacks in Mumbai. Normally I keep up with the news, but I first found out something when I overheard some one talking about it. I find it ironic that with all the technology plain old eaves dropping can still be the breaking news source.
The final death toll is something like 175 people. This isn’t exact, but the real number isn’t important. Neither are the names of the people who died. What is important is who they were to other people, “father”, “daughter”, “friend”, “husband”. The dead are beyond caring, but the number of people morning the loss of someone dear to them is far greater, and cannot be quantified.
In the same week there have also been reports of more then 200 dead in “religious violence” in Nigeria and something like 500 dead of cholera in Zimbabwe.
I am contradicting my earlier comments that the numbers don’t matter, but why has India captured more news then the other two? Is it because it targeted westerners, people like us? Or because people are afraid it could happen elsewhere, and things like riots and water born disease aren’t relevant to us in the west?
Death is a part of life, but there is something tragic about these incidents. It is not only that they are preventable, but at least two of them involved deliberate acts of violence.
This marks a serious attempt by me to not only resume posting, but to do so regularly, probably once a fortnight. Sorry to resume on such a downer, but this is where I am this week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment